With that, here is a rough recipe for chili oil :
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 strand/stalk of scallions, minced *
-1 slice of ginger, minced *
-1/4 cup dried chilies (I like to buy the Vietnamese kind- yellow bag with a clear space so that you can see what you are buying)
-1/2 cup canola oil
0) Open the windows and then the kitchen fan on .
1) Toast chilies on medium or medium low heat. Do not burn! Toast until the chilies are fragrant, or until you start coughing. Really! If you don't cough, that probably means your chilies aren't very spicy....
2) Grind up toasted chilies in a coffee grinder or food processor.
3) Transfer chilies to a clean glass jar, and also add chopped aromatics to the same jar.
4) Heat oil in that same pan until the oil is hot, or it shimmers.
5) Pour the oil quickly into the jar, and stir everything together.
*I only had garlic at the time, so that's what I used. If you use scallions and ginger, it will taste even better!
Dan dan mian (dan dan noodles) with chili oil